Where are you? CP address, WC phone, Medford schools

In Sams Valley, Dodge Road homeowner Albert uses a White City mailing address. His children go to Crater High School, and his property tax bill reflects levies imposed by Central Point’s School District 6.
A few blocks away, also on Dodge Road, Betty’s kids have an Eagle Point address, and attend Eagle Point HS. Yet, both Albert and Betty will drive at least ten miles in different directions before they’ll arrive at Eagle Point, Central Point, or White City.

Carl also lives in Sams Valley, on Perry Road, and Derrick occupies a
home across the same driveway. Carl uses a Central Point address;
Derrick, a Gold Hill one. One neighbor’s phone service comes from
Quest, while the other must rely on Embarq.
If a burglar
were jimmying his window, would Carl phone the Central Point Police
Department? According to Central Point’s Police Lieutenant Charles
Newell, if Carl dialed 911, the responding agency dispatched would be
the Sheriff’s Department. In non-incorporated rural areas, residents
don’t pay taxes to municipalities. Although Carl’s mail service is
provided by the Central Point Post Office, his tax dollars for law
enforcement go to the Sheriff’s unit.
Technically, Newell
explains, he or any (Oregon-based) police officer has the same power of
arrest and citations throughout the state. But most city councils
prefer to keep their resources within their own city limits.
some parts of the area, Newell says, one side of a street is Central
Point, another side is White City. Farther down, a section of the same
street may be under Jackson County, or Medford jurisdiction.
"Non-incorporated areas, such as White City, or places outside of
incorporated city limits, are governed by the county. When cities annex
(land) in portions, it’s not blocks; it’s jagged areas."
apparent stretches of "no man’s land" between cities’ borders, how
finite are the boundaries to which municipalities can keep on annexing
more land? Kelly Madding, development services director for Jackson
County explained it this way: Per Oregon State land use rules,
incorporated municipalities have city limits, and urban growth
boundaries. Areas outside any city’s limits, but within its UGB are
governed by the county. If a city spreads to include all of its urban
growth boundary, it could petition the county for permission to annex
further. This labor-intensive petition process requires adequate
justification for reasons and needs regarding where the municipality
will grow. The county has authority to approve or deny the petition.
There really aren’t any "no-man’s-lands," Madding says.
advised visiting the map gallery at www.co.jackson.or.us by clicking on
"smart maps." The user-friendly maps, she says, clearly define local
city boundaries and several service districts to which residents’ tax
dollars go. But the maps don’t answer the confusion one has in trying
to explain an 826 or 830 phone prefix, a Central Point mailing address
while sending children to a Medford school.
by F. C. Blake
Of the Independent

Speak Your Mind