Harnish Wayside formally dedicted

This new plaque is now on display at Harnish Wayside.
This new plaque is now on display at Harnish Wayside.

A dream that started several generations ago was formally realized last Saturday as the Harnish Wayside Visitors Center was formally opened. The facility, at the corner of Nick Young and Hwy. 62, originally belonged to the Harnish Family. In 1947, when Hwy. 62 was constructed, it divided the old 50- acre homestead, explained Helen Harnish Wolgamott to some 50-75 who gathered for the official ribbon cutting.
   
She told the tale of lost treasure that was supposed to have been left in the park location.
For those who know Helen today, they may be surprised to learn she and a friend were the ones who found that lost treasure when she was about 10 years old, and they spent it on candy and ice cream. Apparently she was a bit mischievous in her youth.
   
Harnish contains eight large murals designed and built by Ali Pearson. The Harnish family donated a number of bits and horse gear that came from the original Harnish Livery Stable and that can be seen on one of the walls in the facility.
   
There is an attractions room with information available on the entire area. Another room contains information on the creek and is appropriately named the Little Butte Room. Eventually the Medford Water District will have water monitoring devices for public viewing as well as for use by the water district.
   
"It is a facility Eagle Point can be very proud of, " said City Administrator Dave Hussell, as he express appreciation for the dedication and effort of many to make the dream a reality on May 24, 2008.
By Nancy Leonard
Of the Independent

 

Speak Your Mind

*