90% properties decrease in value, but taxes are up

It seems to be an Oregon tradition, as soon as the ballots are in the mail, it is time to send out tax statements. Most should have their statements by now, since the Jackson County Assessor said they were being mailed around Oct. 21.

Jackson County Assessor Dan Ross said "Many residential properties will
be experiencing a reduction in their Real Market Value for this year’s
tax bill."  He said as of the assessment date, which was Jan. 1, 2008,
Real Market Values will show the majority of property values declining.
Only one to eight percent will see an increase in value, while seven
percent will remain unchanged. Ross said 19 percent of the residential
properties in Jackson County will see a decrease of 10 to 15 percent;
46 percent will decrease six to nine percent and 28 percent will
decrease one to five percent.
When voters approved Measure
50 that took effect in the 1997-98 tax year, a new value was
established on property. By that constitutional change, Maximum
Assessed Value automatically increases three percent annually as long
as the Real Market Value is greater than the MAV.  Last year the
average MAV was 52 percent lower than the Real Market Value. As an
example, property with Real Market Value of $100,000 has an average
assessed value, and that is what the tax is based on, of $48,000. It is
important to understand this and to read the tax statement carefully.
most will see the normal three percent increase in property tax this
year, there is good news about the Jackson County Urban renewal tax.
That levy is finished and will reduce taxes countywide by about 27
cents per $1,000 of assessed value. They have been reduced from their
original authority but the complete taxation has yet to be concluded,
according to Dan Ross, county assessor.
Those wishing to
appeal the value of their property must make the appeal to the Board of
Property Tax Appeals no later than Dec. 31, 2008.  If you are
considering an appeal, or need more information regarding the value,
call the assessor’s office. The assessor has the authority to correct
errors up to Dec. 31 without an appeal.
Appeal forms are
available at the assessor’s office or the county clerk’s office, but
appeals must be filed in the county clerk’s office.
 By Nancy Leonard
Of the Independent

Speak Your Mind