HIgh algae at Lost Creek Lake

A health advisory prompted by high algae levels found in Lost Creek Lake,  was issued Friday, Sept. 23,  by the Oregon Health Authority’s Public Health Division.

Water monitoring has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae that can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals. These algae levels are likely to be associated with dangerous toxin concentrations in the water, according to World Health Organization guidelines.

Swallowing or inhaling water droplets should be avoided, as well as skin contact with water by humans or animals.

 

Drinking water from Lost Creek Lake is especially dangerous. Oregon Public Health officials advise campers and other Lost Creek Lake visitors that toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping-style filters.

 

Oregon health officials recommend that people who choose to eat fish from waters where algae blooms are present should remove all fat, skin and organs before cooking since toxins are more likely to collect in these tissues. Additionally, public health officials advise that people should not eat freshwater clams from Lost Creek Lake. Crayfish muscle can be eaten, but internal organs and liquid fat should be discarded.

The public will be advised when the concern no longer exists.

With proper precautions to avoid water contact, people are encouraged to visit Lost Creek Lake and enjoy activities such as camping, hiking, biking, picnicking, fishing and bird watching. Boating is safe as long as speeds do not create excessive water spray, which could lead to inhalation risk.

For local information contact Chad Stuart at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at 541-878-2255.

Speak Your Mind

*