Biggest cause of cancer in non-smokers

Invisible, odorless radioactive gas, that naturally occurs in every county in the United States. It is radon, the leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers.

Considered a national health problem, the week of Oct. 17-24 is Radon Awareness Week.

Homes with 4pCi/L or more level need to take measures. The average home in Jackson County is said to be half of that figure. But that does not mean homeowners should ignore the issue.

There are short term(2-7 day) tests for detectors for as low as $10- 25. And, there are long-term devices for detecting radon. Those units run about $15-$30 each. Repairs can be as little as a few hundred dollars to as much as $2,500 or so. It is important to be sure whatever device you select  meets national certification and bears either NEHA (National Environmental Health Association)  or NRSB (National radon safety board.)

For more information Google radon in Oregon or go to http://www/ epa.gov/radon/radontest.html
By Nancy Leonard
Of the Independent

Speak Your Mind

*