EP Parks hears plan for tennis courts

The Eagle Point Parks & Recreation Commission met on Thursday,. Oct. 13.  Under audience comments Helen Wolgamott reported there will be a Veteran’s Day event featuring an assembly walking down Main street with flags from all branches of the service toward Veteran’s Park by the covered bridge. The band will play and the mayor will speak along with others at the Veteran’s Park.

The next item on the agenda was a presentation from Dennis Mihocko regarding tennis courts in Eagle Point. Mihocko is working on putting together a foundation to build six tennis courts at the Eagle Point High School which would be used by the school and the public. He stated that six is the number needed to be able to host tournaments. There is still much ground work to be done, and much help will be needed. He is working with the US Tennis Association to be sure the courts are everything they need to be. The USTA is possibly able to help with the cost of building the courts. Mihocko stated that the foundation must have 80% of the funds in place before the USTA will give the other 20%. The estimated cost of the courts is $325,000.

The Parks & Rec Commission will be sending out through several different means a new parks survey. The goal is to get community input on types and numbers of users and uses of the parks in Eagle Point. The community members are encouraged to fill out the forms they receive. There will be short surveys mailed along with utility bills and longer ones available on the city’s website. Once the surveys are tallied the parks commission will look at their goals and objectives again to make sure they are taking into account the community’s needs.

Other business included commission chairperson Lynn Scott offered to give the commission a tour of the new Hillside Elementary School once it is done enough, sometime in December.

Commissioner Aaron Prunty reported he had been doing research on  skate parks. He stated that not only skaters use them but also BMX bicycle riders, and no two skate parks are the same and users will travel some distance to visit different parks.

It was also reported that the LDS church members in Eagle Point will be doing a service project for Eagle Point on Sat. Oct. 15. They will be clearing blackberries from along Little Butte Creek and painting fire hydrants.

Rob Miller reported that there were approximately 70 participants signed up for Jr. Eagles volleyball and that basketball signups would start soon.

Commissioner Mary Philips reported on the 4th grade Eagle Rock Elementary field trip to Harnish Wayside. She said the students were able to extract roe from a salmon and learn many other things the creek has to offer. She also said she would like to see Eagle Point host an event much like the Bear Creek festival for Little Butte Creek.

Finally the Commission decided to advertise for a student to be on the commission to help convey the needs of the youth in Eagle Point. Gary Shipley reported there had been some vandalism at Chamberlain Park resulting in temporary closure of the restrooms in that park.

The next meeting of the Parks & Recreation Commission will be Nov. 10.
By Kathy Sell
of the Independent

 

Speak Your Mind

*