Eagles’ winning streak broken in double overtime

Eagle Point’s varsity boys basketball team suffered the end of their recent seven game winning streak at the hands of Grants Pass High School on Thursday, Feb. 9. After double overtime, the final score was 66 – 70.

This was only the second time they have seen overtime this season, but the Eagles kept it a close game throughout. They were down by two points at the end of the first quarter, and the second and third quarters both finished with the Eagles leading by one.

The Eagles almost took the game away from the Cavemen twice during the post-regulation play. Tyrone Holmes put the Eagles up 60 – 58 with less than two minutes remaining in the first OT period, and a lay up from Cesar Chavez gave them a 66 – 65 lead midway through the second OT period. The Cavemen were ever quick to recover though. So, trailing by one in the last thirty seconds, the Eagles got desperate and the fouling started. This gave Grants Pass too many opportunities.

Eagles on the floor were Jonathan Bolston, Tyrone Holmes, Garrett Snow, Cesar Chavez, Hunter DeLange, Christian Flores, and Jorge Quintero. Bolston scored 27 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. Holmes double-doubled once again with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 1 assist. Snow got 8 points and 6 rebounds. Chavez scored 8 points and got 1 rebound, 8 assists. Flores had 2 points and 4 rebounds. DeLange got 5 rebounds, and Quintero got 3 rebounds.

Head coach Bryan Wood was unavailable for comment due to an unrelated emergency following the game. EPHS Principal Allen Barber commented that the loss was disappointing, but the Eagles will continue on to finish a strong season. “They’ll come to practice tomorrow and they’ll work hard, and the next game will be better,” Barber said.

All of the Eagles deserve credit for their spectacular effort in this game. But, special notice should go to point guard Jonathan Bolston. There is a saying about how winners always want the ball when the game is on the line, and Bolston readily assumed this responsibility. At the end of the fourth quarter, it was Bolston who drove up the lane and tied the score. Twice in the final twenty seconds of double overtime, Bolston rebounded foul shots and gave his all toward the basket.

Previous to this, the Eagles went to Ashland High School on Tuesday, Feb. 7, where they defeated the Grizzlies for a second time by a score of 62 – 56. The Eagles are on the road for their next game against South Medford High School on Friday, Feb. 17, and will play their last game of the regular season at their home court against Ashland on Tuesday, Feb. 21.
By Michael Stephens
Of the Independent


Speak Your Mind